Thursday, February 25, 2010

Black Water Rafting









Wow! Yesterday Shawn and I drove to Waitomo, New Zealand on the western coast to see the gloworms. Gloworms are basically maggots in caves the produce a light in their bellies which is a mixture of their saliva and waste. So basically what you are looking at is spit and poop and it is beautiful! We had a guide and first we rappelled down into a huge cave. Then we walked through the water upstream to get our tubes. Then we floated down the river in tubes (still inside the dark cave) and we saw gloworms all around us. It was so beautiful…it looked like we were floating in the stars. Once we reached the end of the cave, we had to walk back…we crawled through tight spaces and had to walk on steep rock cliffs. We even got to jump off of some of those rock cliffs! To get back up to the top of the cave, we had to rock climb. It was so much fun! Later that night, we went night hiking through the bush (forest) and through some caves to see the gloworms on our own. Shawn and I got chased by a wild animal (I have a video explaining that which I will try to post soon! Videos take about 3 hours to upload here !)

4 comments:

  1. You guys are seriously doing your own "Amazing Race" type trip. Such random activities and cool things to see that are so obscure and part of the culture! SO happy for you. totally jealous, but that's not very Jesus-y of me, so I'll just be happy. Wish I was on that trip.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good to finally hear from you guys on your blog. Looks like your trip is amazing and I am loving the photos and videos. Did you get any good pictures of the maggots? That sounds pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No thank you to this day! I do not like to rappell, I do not like caves, I do not like tight confined spaces and I do not like maggot poop. But, I am so glad you had so much fun. This sounds like all of these things were right up your alley. Not mine. And, the pictures are fun to look at. I would have stayed in my tent and read a book. You are my most adventurous friend, Mate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys totally went spelunking!!!! SO COOL! I can't believe how totally awesome that sounds! And I love your way of describing the gloworms. They really are beautiful, though, aren't they? Do you remember the stuffed glow worms we had when we were little?

    ReplyDelete